Today’s recipe has been a long time coming. I have been tweaking this recipe over the past couple of weeks and it is finally ready. Why gummies? Because who doesn’t love them?! If you think you don’t like gummies…try these. The orange zest really gives these a great kick and the texture is just perfect. I may have skipped breakfast the other day and consumed 3 muffin sized gummies…true story. I didn’t feel too bad however because I knew I was getting gut-healing goodness with every bite!
Gelatin is protein made from the skin and connective tissue (collagen) of animals. It is easily digested, readily absorbed, and a source of supplemental protein. So what else makes gelatin so special?
– gelatin is an aid to digestion
– gelatin is helpful in treating intestinal disorders
– gelatin contains large amounts of the amino acids arginine and glycine.
– the amino acid glycine helps to repair the gut cell lining
– gelatin allows the body to better utilize proteins
– gelatin improves bone, joint, skin, and hair health
When I talk gelatin, I do not mean the colorful blue-raspberry jello packets you find at the store…although I did enjoy far too many of those as a kid. I am talking about gelatin from grass-fed pasture-raised animals! After all, you are what you eat eats. Read that sentence a few more times if it doesn’t quite make sense the first time around. I therefor recommend gelatin from a brand called Great Lakes. It can easily be found on Amazon. There are three types of gelatin: beef gelatin, porcine gelatin, and collagen hydrolysate. Either beef or porcine gelatin can be used in this recipe.
Beef gelatin is great for making homemade gummies (like the recipe below!) and can be found here.
Porcine gelatin is also great for making homemade gummies and fruit snacks but is not kosher, it can be found here
Collagen Hydrolysate is the non-gelling form of gelatin that can be added to hot/cold beverages. It is taste-less and great for sneaking more protein into your diet. It can be found here.
So what are you waiting for? Make these gut-healing gummies and enjoy the health benefits coming your way!
3.5 cups Cranberry Juice (cranberries and water only ingredients for strict AIP)
3/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1 T lemon juice
Zest of 1 orange
4 T raw honey
7 T gelatin from grass-fed cows
1) Combine cranberry juice, orange juice, lemon juice, orange zest, and raw honey into a saucepan and stir with a wire whisk
2) Bloom mixture by sprinkling gelatin over entire surface. Let sit for 5 minutes
3) Over low-medium heat, stir with a wire whisk until the gelatin is dissolved
4) Pour the gelatin mixture evenly into each well in the muffin tin, filling all 12
5) Place in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours until set